Author Topic: Help Me To Write A More User Friendly Manual  (Read 12929 times)

kiosk2

Help Me To Write A More User Friendly Manual
« on: August 03, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
I've had a few messages commenting on how difficult they found either installing the script, setting it up or using it.

To enable me to make it less techie I need to know what parts you are struggling with;

• FTP and database set up?
  • Running the installer?
  • Initial site settings?
  • Setting up products and payment processors?

Whatever you are or have been stuck on, post it here and I will do my best to make a "Dummies Guide" to SMP.

David

Offline Gerry908

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Uncle Max Says.com
Re: Help Me To Write A More User Friendly Manual
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 02:17:58 PM »
Currently:
I'm having difficulty setting up products (ebooks)
  and after payment is processed through PayPal (functions well)
   displaying in Paid Products listing (paid for product not listed)
      then receiving the download of the product.

kiosk2

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:53:51 PM »
Currently:
I'm having difficulty setting up products (ebooks)
  and after payment is processed through PayPal (functions well)
   displaying in Paid Products listing (paid for product not listed)
      then receiving the download of the product.

Hi again Gerry.

I've been testing this feature myself tonight and it works well. Are you using the latest version, 2.14, and have you checked the post about setting the .htaccess file for your server?

It's very late now (01:50) but if you PM me your site details I will gladly take a look tomorrow.

David

Offline Tanaya

• Advanced User
    • View Profile
    • Tanaya Byers.Com
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:35:08 PM »
I believe something along the lines of semi step-by-step startup instructions... example,

if free membership then
  do these items
else
  do these items

it would provide direction and a defined objective. As is, people are left to wander about  ???. Anyway my two cents worth.
Get A F-ree Turnkey Cash-Generating Minisite Now!
http://www.improductprofit.com
http://www.tanayabyers.com

kiosk2

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 03:59:58 AM »
Thanks Tanaya

What I plan to do is exactly that.

Whether it be by video or PDF I haven't yet decided ( I hate doing videos!) or even in your member area at SMP.com!

I plan to do various project guides using the script.

eg
  • Single Item Sale With Download Area
  • Multiple Item Sale With Download Area (almost like a store)
  • Free Membership with paid back end
  • Paid Continuity Membership etc, etc...

I am just working on some slight changes to make Paid Products easier to work with and these will be released shortly in version 2.15.

I appreciate that there is a bit of a learning curve with SMP but hopefully these guides will help people do exactly what they want to and maybe even open their eyes to some business models they hadn't considered!

I'll keep you posted.

David

Offline Gerry908

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Uncle Max Says.com
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 10:09:42 AM »
Assuming there is a large unexploited market of non-techies who focus more on product development and less on distribution, here are some suggestions for a Non-Techie Version of your improving user manual.

1. Introduction describing what SMP does and does NOT do.
2. Enhance the very good existing screens that answer WHAT by answering WHO, WHERE, WHEN, WHY
       and HOW.  (Elaboration upon request)
3. ID as "Dummie" Version to avoid insulting the intelligence of the Nerds.
4. Emulate Vikram Vaswani boxes with "Try this ..." and "Ask the Expert."
5. Use a Non-Techie editor.

kiosk2

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 03:52:23 PM »
Gerry

These are some great suggestions and I really appreciate the feedback  :)

My plans are:

1. Have an installation manual.
2. Have a user guide for when it's set up, complete with examples of what you can (and can not do).
3. Create some more video tutorials that walk you through various aspects of the software.
4. Make some templates and bundle them in to a pack.
5. Keep improving the software based on peronal requirements and suggestions here on the forum.
6. Enhance the affiliate tools and sales page so that you can really profit from recommending SMP ;)

You'll have to bear with me on all of this as time is far too short but I promise I will work on all of the above as and when I can. There have been a number of improvements made to the script in the last month and I spent almost 10 hours updating the user guide (but still wish to format it as above).

David

Offline JadaKiss

• Pro User
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 01:00:48 PM »
Ok here is one:

When setting up the Custom Content Pages - it tells you to use the
url of:   content.php?page=thisispageone  So I did that along with my url of and it did not let me view the content.  After about 15 minutes of playing with it I realized it should
say member/content.php?page=thisispageone with your url - that worked.  So I would add the word member in front of the url that is in the manual to eliminate the guess work.   :)

kiosk2

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 01:10:38 PM »
Good point.

Bear in mind though, you can also create custom pages for outside of the member area.

So if it's member content it will be www.yoursite.com/member/content.php?page=whatever where as if it's for outside of the member area it will be www.yoursite.com/content.php?page=whatever

I'll take that advice on borad and make it clearer in the user guide and on screen help.

Offline Gerry908

• New User
    • View Profile
    • Uncle Max Says.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 09:29:52 AM »
What are the different uses for the HomePage and a SqueezePage?
   Do I use the HomePage to re-direct a NEW member and EXISTING (coming to buy) members?
   Can I have more than one unique "squeezepage.php"  ie: "squeezepageA.php?"
       If so, what are the cautions?

kiosk2

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 02:31:12 PM »
Hi Gerry - I posted a reply in your other post but here it is agin:

A squeeze page is normally used to sign up a visitor to your newsletter before they purchase.

It's a good tactic to use one before launch to build your list and you can set a timer so that at a time and date you specify it will go from squeeze page to live site, there is also a timer that will count down to launch.

Some people also use a squeeze page on a live site and get the customer to sign up, then the confirmation email directs them to the sales page. It's not possible (or advisable) to use more than one squeeze page but you can have a sales page for each product you create.

You would use a sales page if the site was live with your sales letter and payment button.

Hope this helps.

Offline Magreth

• Advanced User
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 08:22:01 AM »
Hi David,

After getting my Membership site up and running... I am almost ready to launch, but I agree with some of the earlier posts.

We need a Step by Step manual, in plain English.

With all the possible scenarios such as - Site Coming Soon... Launch Day... Squeeze Page OTO etc.

With regard to OTO's - I am not sure how you would back end the OTO with a up sell or down sell, it doesn't seem possible, which means there is a lot of money being left on the table.

Could you let us know if this is something that I haven't figured out yet? and if not, could we have some precise outline of how to do it please?

I found that the installing of the script and setting up was the easy part... it is the getting the membership site to work that I have had some difficulty with ... There doesn't seem to be a guide as to what happens when a member signs up "Flow Chart" if you had a flow chart or blueprint of how the system works its way through from landing on the site to finalizing a download after the sale. It would be Much appreciated... (and maybe the same for the Giveaway sites)

I have to thank you for all your help while getting the script up and running.... Thank you David, you have been most helpful!

Love the software!
Regards
Magreth McGill
P.S. You are all welcome to look at and Join my Free PLR & MRR Site here: http://marketing-tool-store.com/mts (launch 13th October)

kiosk2

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 08:37:14 AM »
Hi Magreth

I've been doing some videos but think you are right in that some written guides would be beneficial for actually getting the site up and running. I will start on this in the next day or two.

Regarding the OTOs, in the next release you will be able to add an OTO for each product and also offer a downsell as well. This is ready but not due for release until at least the end of the month, however please let me know if you would like a copy to beta test and I will send it.

Really appreciate your feedback and best of luck with your site.

David

Offline Magreth

• Advanced User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 03:28:40 AM »
Hi David,

Sounds Great... can't wait to see the Videos and new instruction materials...

If you have a copy of the OTO and Downsell script to beta test I would be happy to give it a go... whenever you are ready to release it.

Thank you for the Good Luck Wishes... Just making some major changes to the OTO and then full steam ahead...

Regards
Magreth

Offline Valda

• Advanced User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 10:00:15 AM »
Hi there Dave,  I'm glad to see that a new manual is in the pipeline.

I purchased SMP in September 2008 and have still yet to set up a membership site.
I do admit that I have had some major health issues, but when I do feel up to setting
up my membership site,  I cringe just thinking about the user manual I have to go through
and the fact that it dosen't actually show you how to set up things after installation.  It
tells you what you need to do but for non techies like myself, it dosen't tell you how.

I have to say that having a course of video tutorials watching you live setting up sites using
SMP's capabilities of free, paid memberships etc., would be so great.  I have to admit I am one
who prefers the video tutorial guide as opposed the a reading guide.

I'm having a few problems understanding how to set up the drip feed etc. and what all the tokens
mean and when to use them.

Anyways you have a good idea on re-doing the manual and I am sure if new potential customers
saw that there were instructional video tutorials , your sales may increase a bit.... as there are
many-a-non-techie online these days.