Author Topic: If affiliate links or protected download links return error pages check here.  (Read 8840 times)

Offline Johnny Slater

• SMP/SGP Designer
  • Pro User
    • View Profile
    • Viral Membership Script
If you are having problems with affiliate links or protected download links redirecting properly it is more than likely that you have a web host that does not accept the standard htaccess file that comes with the script.

I have a list of known hosts who require modifications to make the script redirects function properly. You can view the list of hosts and fixes here:

Known HTACCESS Issues
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:40:09 AM by David Allen »

Offline Magreth

• Advanced User
    • View Profile
I seem to be having some bother with this one....

I have changed the htaccess file (go daddy hosting) but I am still being redirected to the 404error page.

I think it is the site admin set up that I am getting wrong...

my downloads are in a file:

http://mysite.com/myproductfolder/product-downloads/import

my member site is on:

http://mysite.com/mymembersitefolder/

When I set up the site admin - 1/. Do I say that the download folder is in the "site root" or "above the site root"? (could you explain what you mean by site root and above site root...?)

2/. What do I put in the Protected download folder - /home/content/username/html/sitefolder/myproductfolder/product-downloads/import or /myproductfolder/product-downloads/import

???
Confused
Magreth

kiosk2

Hi Magreth

First of all, did you rename the "go" file to go.php? (In 2.16 it was named go.php anyway)

Is it just the downloads you are having problems with?

The safest way to do it is to create a download folder "above site root" ie before the public_html folder.

Set it in admin to above site root and enter /home/content/username/downloadfoldername (renaming the actual folder name to what it is actually called.

If you can't get access "above site root" then let me know and I will help.

David

Offline Magreth

• Advanced User
    • View Profile
Hi Johnny,

I have changed the htaccess file as per your instructions on the page.

Any other suggestions?

Regards
Magreth

kiosk2

Magreth

It's David, did you see my reply?

Offline Magreth

• Advanced User
    • View Profile
Hi David, I just saw your reply, and I have the version 2.16, go is named go.php

I will try to sort out the rest of your message and get back to you in a short while...

Thanks  ::)
Magreth

Offline Magreth

• Advanced User
    • View Profile
Hi David,

I have tried that.... still no joy?

I created a download folder "above site root" (When you say above the site root, you do mean the root of the hosting account don't you?)

I set it in admin to "above site root" and entered  /home/content/username/downloadfoldername
and then tried /home/content/username/public_html/downloadfoldername

:)Magreth

Offline Magreth

• Advanced User
    • View Profile
Hi David,

This is so frustrating....

I have been able to make normal download links work, without going through the go/downloads but, that sort of defeats the purpose of the security doesn't it.

Regards  :) Magreth

kiosk2

/home/content/username/downloadfoldername should be correct

public_html is the site root so if you are creating the folder above or before site root it would go before the public_html folder

eg if you are looking via ftp you would see something like this:

downloadfoldername
email
public_html

etc

So the folder would go on the same level as public_html, not in it.

If this is set correctly and still not working them PM me your site address, ftp details and admin login and I will take a look.

kiosk2

Also, what link format are you using for files on your download page?

Offline Magreth

• Advanced User
    • View Profile
Re: If affiliate links or protected download links return error pages check here.
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 06:14:48 AM »
Hi David,

I have used both these formats to test it out and neither responds to more than a 404

http://mysite.com/sitefolder/go/downloads/downloadfile.zip

http://mysite.com/go/downloads/downloadfile.zip

And the code used as follows:
  <tr>
      <td>
        <p align="left"><span style="font-family: Arial;">DOWNLOAD FILE NAME</span></p></td>
      <td width="75" align="middle"><span style="font-weight: bold; text-decoration: underline; font-family: Arial; font-size: 10pt; color: rgb(0, 0, 255);"><a href="http://mysite.com/sitefolder/go/downloads/downloadfile.zip" target="_blank">Download</a></span></td>
    </tr>

Regards
Magreth

kiosk2

Re: If affiliate links or protected download links return error pages check here.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 06:17:14 AM »
Ok - I'll await your PM and take a look.

Offline Johnny Slater

• SMP/SGP Designer
  • Pro User
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 08:13:29 AM »
From going over the posts it looks to me that there is a problem with where the download folder is being placed. Here are a few rules to keep in mind.

You can only use the above site root option if you install the script in the domains root, meaning mydomain.com. You can not use this option if you install the script into a subfolder of a domain, meaning mydomain.com/smpinstalledhere. The reason for this is that the above site root and in site root options use different methods of finding the proper folder. The above site root uses file paths like /users/myusername/public_html/somefolderhere/ and the in site root uses domain urls like mydomain.com/smpinstalledhere/downloadfolder/.

You can not have the download folder anywhere but as a sub folder of SMP, unless you are using the above site root option.

You cant install SMP in mydomain.com/smpinstalledhere and have the download folder in mydomain.com/mydownloadfolder. It would have to be located as mydomain.com/smpinstalledhere/mydownloadfolder to work.

Another thing to keep in mind. If you are using the in site root option you only put the download folder name in the box. This means if your folder is located at mydomain.com/smpinstalledhere/mydownloadshere then the only thing you put in the box would be mydownloadshere.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:16:40 AM by Johnny Slater »

kiosk2

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 08:20:14 AM »
Hi Johnny

I've looked at the set up and it seems the suggested GoDaddy htaccess change does not work but fortunately the default one does. I just need to check the correct paths for the download folder and go/download/zip links as the site is in a sub-directory. I will sort this tonight.

Offline Johnny Slater

• SMP/SGP Designer
  • Pro User
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 08:24:48 AM »
Ok David. Since you changed the setup from having the file named go to having it named go.php it's possible that some of the information in the change list will have to be updated as the existing list was specifically for having a file without an extension. I'm sure several hosts on the list will treat them differently and the listed information will require changes.