Author Topic: How Do I Change The .htaccess File  (Read 11616 times)

Offline Valda

• Advanced User
    • View Profile
How Do I Change The .htaccess File
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:37:19 AM »
Hi there, I've just been reading Johnny's post with regards to affiliate links etc. http://contactandsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=17.0
It mentions that we need to change the .htaccess file, how do I change the code that needs to be change as per this post
http://contactandsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=17.0
Many thanks
Valda
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 05:41:13 AM by David Allen »

Offline Chris Barnes

• New User
    • View Profile
Re: How Do I Change The .htaccess File
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 02:14:28 PM »
Hi Valda.

The .htaccess file is found in any directory on your server if it is needed to override the default settings for the directory and subdirectories on your hosting account.  It is just a text file with commands in it that change how that directory contents are to be handled by the server.  You can edit the file either with your ftp program by selecting the file on the server directory view, and selecting a menu command to view or edit the file.   This will download and open the file in a default text editor like notepad.   Once you save your file, the ftp program will usually prompt you to upload it back to the server overwriting the original file.   Be very careful to double check what you put in this file.

The other way is very similar if your ftp program does not allow dynamic editing.
select file in ftp server directory and download into your local folder on your local pc.
edit the file with the text editor of your choice, or notepad etc.
save the file.
use ascii transfer mode with the ftp upload.   Ftp programs usually sort this out for you, but check it is not in Binary mode.
upload the file using your ftp program back into the same server directory to overwrite the original .htaccess file.
use ascii transfer mode with the ftp upload.

That is it.

Use the information elsewhere in the forum for details of what to change in the .htaccess file.